Friday, July 2, 2010

Amateur Bike: 2010 Giant TCR Advanced 2















Since James Huang, technical editor of cyclingnews.com and author of the column "Probike," is busy spying the bikes at the Tour de France, you will have to make due with my review of the bike that has been with me through a majority of the season. And thus since I am an amateur, this will be the first edition of my "Amateur Bike," but as you will see the 2010 TCR Advanced 2 is nothing but PRO.

The first occasion I had to get well acquainted with my new machine was down at Joe Martin Stage Race in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I know, not the best idea to right before a big race, but hey, when you get a shiny new toy you gotta just use it. Since Will and Andrew started racing on Thursday evening, and my Cat 3 races did not start until Saturday, I took the time to ride the hills around Fayetteville that I like to call mountain passes compared to what we have in Iowa. Among the first thing I noticed was how lively the bike felt; it kind of takes off in tune with your output, whether in or out of the saddle. While the fit took some time to nail down, I felt comfortable on it from the get go. The biggest fit aspect of the TCR I had to adjust to was the relatively long top-tube compared to my Tarmac. I solved the problem with a shorter reach handlebar instead of just moving the saddle forward, so as not to change the knee angles I have become accustomed to. Other aspects I noticed right away was how I felt tons of feedback from the bike while at the same time taking the edge off rough surfaces.

Let's run down the parts spec on the TCR 2 and the few individual aspects of this bike. Kevin gets chamois time wrenching on the team bike


The TCR 2 is spec'd out with full Ultegra 6700, Ksyrium Elite wheels, Fizik Arione saddle, and debuting Giant's very own Contact cockpit. Rumour has it that Giant poached a top designer at a major cockpit component maker (FSA possibly?) to get Giant into the cockpit game for sourcing and aesthetic reasons. This bike as a total package is spot on for dedicated bike racers; shifting, braking, and crank stiffness of the new Ultegra is superb, Ksyriums Elites are decently light and still true after 3000km. Besides my personal saddle and bar choice, a significant addition I made was swapping out the standard Jagwire shift cable with Gore Ride-On cables. This change really makes the new Ultegra system shine.

I fully realized how good this bike is when I took the bike out on the exceptionally rough home roads back in Indiana. After riding the same routes with several bikes over the years, my muscle memory is ingrained with the expectation of a certain degree of roughness. My first ride home on the TCR felt like I was sailing over rough sections that on other bikes I have felt bogged down, and the faster the smoother it got.





Lots of reviews might end with a "get it if you...forget it if you..." but I would say the TCR 2 is a great all around race bike for the American road racer; Great for the cornering confidence needed in crits with ample stiffness, yet its balance between comfort and aggressiveness will deliver its pilot to the line of a long road race smiling instead of grimacing in pain.



















































No comments:

Post a Comment